If your door’s moving parts are working properly, a new coat of paint can easily add curb appeal to your home and extend the life of your garage door. With just a bit of paint and a few hours of elbow grease, you can give your faded or flaking garage door a fresh, appealing look.
Note: If you have a manufacturer’s paint finish warranty, be aware that painting your door may void the warranty.
A Fresh Coat of Paint
If you are ready to paint your steel garage door, here are a few steps and pointers:
- Lightly buff or sand the door’s surface to prepare it and to remove any blemishes.
- If any unpainted steel is showing, use primer to cover the spots. Be sure to use a primer designed for steel to protect it from rust and corrosion.
- Wipe the door with a damp cloth to clean it and allow it to dry.
- Use 100% acrylic exterior latex paint, rather than an oil-based paint, to paint the door. Be sure to follow the paint manufacturer’s instructions on applying the paint in the right weather conditions and temperature range.
- Apply the recommended number of coats to the door.
Painting an Unfinished Wood Garage Door
If you have an unfinished wood garage door, you should seal the wood with primer on all six sides of each section before painting. This will help keep moisture from being absorbed, which can cause the wood to swell and become heavier over time.
Painting Between Door Sections
If you would like to paint between the garage door sections, be aware that painting where sections meet or between them can cause sticking. This sticking may cause your door to make popping sounds when it is raised or lowered.
If you decide to paint between the sections, Precision Garage Door recommends opening the door enough to fully expose the spot where each section separates and allowing each section to dry completely before moving the door to another position.
Good luck with your garage door painting project. If you have any questions, require repairs, or need information on choosing a new garage door, the professionals at Precision Garage Door can offer expert advice and information.
Precision Garage Door of Columbia not only carries a full line of garage doors and garage door parts, our trained technicians offer a complete garage door assessment and speedy repair services. Contact us today and learn how our team can solve your garage door problems or outfit your home with a brand-new garage door.