Garage doors feature numerous moving parts and can be extremely heavy, with potential for causing significant damage or injury to pets, family members, and property.
Due to this potential, all garage doors manufactured in the U.S. after 1993 are required to have a safety reversing system, which will detect any obstacles between the garage door and the ground, and reverse or force the garage door to stay open.
The most common safety reverse mechanism consists of two safety sensors, typically mounted 4-6 inches from the ground along the garage door track. The sensors are connected by an invisible infrared beam and are programed to reverse the garage door if an object, person, or animal gets between the two sensors.
Safety Sensors Common Problems
Malfunctioning garage door sensors can cause the garage door to remain open or reopen immediately after closing. The most common problems include:
- Dirt or dust on the sensors
- Misalignment due to jarring or movement during normal use
- People, pets, or items blocking the sensors
In rare cases, the lenses can become damaged and need replacement. Most garage door sensors have a light that is programmed to blink to indicate a problem.
How to Fix Garage Door Sensors
Be sure to disconnect your garage door system from the power supply before attempting any garage door system repair or cleaning. To evaluate and repair broken garage door sensors, Precision Garage Door recommends the following steps:
- Check for any obstructions in the doorway that may be interrupting the connection between the sensors.
- Thoroughly clean both lenses. We recommend using a cotton swab and rubbing alcohol clean the lenses.
- Inspect the wires that lead to the sensors for any damage or fraying.
- Check the alignment of the sensors. You can check the alignment by tying a string between the sensors and using a level to make sure they are aligned. If adjustment is needed, tighten the brackets attached to the sensors.
Contact Precision Garage Door of Columbia
If you continue to experience problems with your garage door safety sensors, call Precision Garage Door of Columbia and one of our trained technicians will complete a free evaluation to determine the problem.
If your garage door sensors are broken and need replacement, we offer a full range of replacement garage door openers and sensors for all makes and models of garage doors, including Amarr, Clopay, Wayne Dalton, and more!